Featured Post

The link to Americ's SoundCloud (It's wonderful to hear his voice)

https://soundcloud.com/americ

Monday, July 14, 2008

Marketplace Meditation

Saturday, July 13th, 2008. Thirteen people joined me for an hour of talk, focused conversation, and meditation at Elephant Pharmacy in Berkeley. We meditated, practiced inner silence right in the store - with all the sounds of the marketplace around us. The recording unfortunately could not pick up all the comments of participants.; nor could we record the "sound" of meditation! Here's the recording:




In my talk, I mention the "Ten Bulls" from the Zen Buddhist tradition - especially number ten, representing someone enlightened who has completed the spiritual journey finally return to the marketplace. Below is that the 10th drawing as the corresponding text. It's one of my favorites.


10. In the World
Barefooted and naked of breast, I mingle with the people of the world.
My clothes are ragged and dust-laden, and I am ever blissful.
I use no magic to extend my life;
Now, before me, the dead trees become alive.
Comment: Inside my gate, a thousand sages do not know me. The beauty of my garden is invisible. Why should one search for the footprints of the patriarchs? I go to the market place with my wine bottle and return home with my staff. I visit the wineshop and the market, and everyone I look upon becomes enlightened.
from 10 Bullsby Kakuan
Transcribed by Nyogen Senzaki and Paul Reps
Illustrated by Tomikichiro Tokuriki
http://terebess.hu/english/bulls.html

No comments: